Thursday 17 March 2016

Proud to be Irish

Happy St Patrick's Day everyone,

Hope you all have a great day and for some people I know its the start of midterm/Easter holidays and I am so jealous!:-(

For the day that's in it I wanted to do a post about how proud I am to be Irish and I also have a bit of news to tell you below. All this week with the lead up to today, I have been feeling extra proud to be Irish. There have always been moments in your life where you're so proud of your country. At sporting events, seeing successful Irish actors in movies. seeing Irish musicians achieve global fame etc are all times when you feel that extra.. "Come on Ireland" attitude.

Although I have always felt this feeling when watching TV or attending events, its not until I moved here to Toronto that being from Ireland and telling people I am Irish have I felt such pride. The reason being is the reaction I get from the person I have told. I am yet to receive a negative comment about Irish people when others share their excitement with me about the Irish person they know or met or became friends with. It is always..."Oh I love the Irish".

For such a small country we have a fantastic reputation, although some of the time it can be drink related, most of the time the reputation we have is that we are the most fun, the bubbliest,  the friendliest and apparently we have the best accents.

While it might rain a lot, when the sun shines its the most beautiful place on earth. We have produced some of the world's best food and drink. Made some of the world's greatest songs. We have some of the world's most successful actors. We have sporting champions. We have saved lives and also lost a few great ones too. We are scientists. We are artists. We are a small little country with the biggest hearts. We have it all!






Sometimes, you need to take a step back, to travel and explore new cultures to then appreciate your own culture and country and all its beauty. We as a country have been through some dark times but we came through it and did it all while probably still smiling.

Last week, I made the tough decision to decline my offer of returning to my job in Ireland in September after my career break. Which means I am staying in Toronto to see out my 2 year visa. This was not an easy choice as I miss working with children and especially miss the people I worked with. I made this decision as I have such a huge opportunity here to work and travel and I will not get this chance again. So I am grabbing it by the balls haha!

I love Ireland and all the people in it, especially the ones that I miss dearly, but I need to continue my adventure here for now. I will return though don't you worry!

So today on our national holiday that is celebrated all over the world. Be proud to be Irish. We might be small but we are GREAT!






Happy Paddys Day!
Hope you have a good one:-)
Talk soon xx
Zita J







No comments:

Post a Comment