Monday 7 September 2015

Do It Yourself!

Hi Everyone,

New week, new start. At the moment, I like Mondays. The main reason is because that is the day I write my blog posts and probably another reason is because I'm still in holiday mode and not working on a Monday like most people.

Hope you all had a great weekend, for those that went to electric picnic, I hope you are extremely hungover!(I am not jealous at all). I had a great weekend here, its actually a long weekend (not like that matters for me because I am not working). I went out on Friday night, it was good fun and then yesterday we took a trip over to the Islands. I love the islands. Its a ten minute ferry ride to get over. There are beaches, picnic areas, restaurants, bike hire, boat tours and so on. You can do so much over there. However we just went drinking and listened to some music while taking in the sights. On the ferry back we got to see the city at night and it is just incredible, the photos don't do it justice!


Besides the weekend, all last week I have been very busy making our apartment, a home. I love being creative. I love thinking of ways to be different to everyone else, to not stick to the norm and just go with the flow and although that's great in theory, in practice it doesn't always work. Society, peers and confidence can all stop you from being different or doing something "weird" because you're too afraid of what people will think. I am trying to adopt a new attitude of just going with my ideas and then seeing how it works out after, At the moment, I am doing this in a smaller scale by being creative with our apartment and trying to make it different. Here are a few things I have done so far....


Storage Jars:

I bought these jars in a dollar shop. Most people would use them for food, spices etc. I am using them to hold our toothbrushes and cotton ear swabs. I think it looks pretty cool in our bathroom.



                                   

Mason Jam Jars:

I also bought these jars in the dollar shop. They are used for holding jam and the centre of the lid is removable so I bought them and put a night light in them. They make our coffee table very pretty.






Milk Bottles:

I got these old style milk bottles in IKEA for 99c! I am obsessed with them. I use them to drink out of and also for decoration. For 99c you can't go wrong.





Photo Frame:
I got this photo frame, once again in the dollar shop. I took out the glass and instead put in a sheet of cork which I cut to the size of the frame. When that was complete I stuck photos on with drawing pins, 


Coasters:

Out of the leftover cork sheets I made coasters for our drinks. I cut out circles after measuring the outline of a round bottomed glass. They work like a charm and although they can be mistaken for digestive biscuits, don't be fooled they are just cool looking coasters.




Chest of drawers: 
I was a bit nervous of doing this one. Firstly I was going to paint it pink but I thought that was probably lousy on Parker so I decided on a baby blue...not girly at all ;-) I bought the paint in, wait for it.. the dollar shop and we gave it one coat. I wanted it to be faint and still have a wooden look and I must say I am very happy with how it looks.



So there you have it, a little insight into a few DIY projects I have been getting up to. I am new to this whole DIY thing, not new to being creative. I would like to think I have always been that way. There is more to come like transforming this empty space (The Den)....


When I get a job and have a bit more money, I have great plans for the den so watch this space, ha.. Get it!

Have a great week lovelies and remember....



Talk soon xx

Zita J






No comments:

Post a Comment