Monday 5 October 2015

I gots a job bitches!!!!

Hey Everyone, 

Hope you all had a great weekend :-) As some of you may have seen from my Facebook... I GOT A JOB! Woohoo! To be honest I am very lucky, I have been looking for about 3 weeks and this was only my second interview. You'll remember the first one from my post Reality Bites , where I was offered the job but it was door to door sales and then with the coffee shop I didn't get to the interview process because they wanted to interview people with more experience. So when I think about it I should be very happy with myself that I got two interviews and got offered both jobs.

So, the interview was last Thursday and it was an open interview from 2pm til 4pm with multiple openings, bartender, server, hostess etc. I went for the hostess role as I have lots of customer service experience so I felt it was suit me the best, Besides the other roles you needed two years experience working in a restaurant so that was me out straight away. I was a bit hesitant about going to the interview but after being persuaded by Parker, I went along. 

When I arrived, there were other people there too filling out interview forms and the manager was just interviewing people in the corner of the restaurant one at a time. It was a bit nerve wracking watching others being interviewed. When it came to my turn I remained calm. The manager was very friendly and I felt I was chatting to him for ages. The restaurant/ bar is called the Bier Markt and they specialize in beer and have over 150 types. One of the questions was, do you drink beer? I said yes and smiled but I quickly explained how just because I am Irish doesn't mean I am an alcoholic, which went down very well as he laughed. The rest of the interview was good and he smiled throughout which put me at ease. He told me that they would let people know the following week but at 9 pm that night I got a phone call saying I got the job. I was delighted! Below is a picture of what it looks like from the outside.


Yesterday I went for an orientation where I learned more about my role and whats to come. I begin training tomorrow...eeek! In order to work in restaurants and bars in Toronto you need to have what is called a smart serve test completed before you can begin working there. Its an online exam and apparently it isn't that difficult so I will be doing that this week. Also in order to work in the Bier Markt I have to do another exam that can take up to SIX hours which a lot of people fail a certain section. If you fail more then 3 times you have to contact the manager and he logs you back
in, which is awks because he knows you have failed. So fingers crossed I pass first time. 

The job itself should be fine, I will be looking after reservations, greeting people, seating them etc. The money isn't great however I do get some tips so fingers crossed I'll be able to survive. Its something new and not childcare which is the change I want for the moment. It is also a 10 minute walk from my apartment so commutes to work in the winter should be okay. The down side is I will be working weekends and probably late at night so that will take getting use to but I am going to give it a chance and see what I think. So wish me luck on my new adventure. I'll keep ye posted!








Talk soon xx
Zita J

No comments:

Post a Comment