Tuesday 12 May 2015

City of Choice


Deciding to move to Canada was one thing, deciding which city was another. When I made the choice to begin my new adventure in Canada, I then had to figure out which city would be the best place to start. This involved a lot of googling and looking at pretty pictures of mountains, lakes and high rise buildings but this journey is not going to be all of about the sights and photo opportunities that I can later put on Instagram, I'm moving my life there. This will mean for the first time I will be living out of home, starting a new job (hopefully) and learning  about grown up things like buying furniture from Ikea (and getting excited about it).

There were a few things to consider when choosing which city to live in but eventually both me and my boyfriend decided on Toronto. Being perfectly honest, the two main reasons behind our choice was firstly, how close Toronto is to Ireland. To fly from Dublin to Toronto it only takes about 7 hours. I am quite close to my family and have a good relationship with them so knowing that they are not going to be too far from me in terms of flying, makes my decision to leave that little bit easier.


Secondly, there is nothing more comforting then seeing a familiar face when you are taken out of your comfort zone and landed somewhere unknown to you. I have friends who just recently moved to Toronto and they have been filling me in, on the goings on of city life.This really was the pull factor that helped us make our decision if I'm honest.

Toronto not only looks like a beautiful city from the pictures I have seen but the list of things to see and do is endless. On my list of things to do already are: 1. Go see the Niagara Falls, 2. Go to a Hockey match (that's Ice Hockey but apparently Canadians know you're a tourist if you say Ice Hockey). 3. Go to the PATH, this is Toronto's underground walkway that according to Guinness World Records, is the largest underground shopping complex with 30km of shopping arcades. 4. Look at the CN tower (from the ground) because there is not a chance in hell I am going up to the top 5: Go skiing, go to markets, buy second hand furniture and interesting things for when we get an apartment. The list goes on.

So with the decision made and flights booked for July 20th, it looks like I will be seeing Toronto in the summer. I'm looking forward to seeing some friendly faces when I arrive and excited that a few more will follow suit. My friends, to me, are so important and while I will be heart broken leaving some of them behind, I can be reassured that this new chapter will let me reconnect with old friends and bring me lots of new ones too. However, knowing that I will be taking on this adventure with my best friend is the best part. Did you just vomit a little? Thought so!




Forever Cheesy,
Zita J :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment