Thursday 25 August 2016

Someone get me a chips,cheese and garlic please!!!

So besides the obvious of missing family and friends, there is a few things about Ireland that I miss lots. Mainly food, surprise surprise. Now, don't get me wrong, Toronto has some of the nicest food I have ever eaten and the amount of options is huge. However there is food in Ireland that just doesn't compare to here. I wish I never took them for granted when I lived there haha.

Sausages: People living in Ireland.... Listen up, you have no idea how lucky you are to get to buy the sausages you want in every supermarket in Ireland because I  will tell you something, there is no such thing as normal sausages in Canada. Its mind blowing. I remember a girl I used to work with who lived in Toronto before telling me to eat as many as I can before I move, as you cant get them here. I remember thinking, ah there has to be some! THERE IS NOT! They all are massive things with herbs, or spices and even the ones they call breakfast sausages are NOTHING like Irish sausages. One day though I did have breakfast in a restaurant where the sausages tasted very similar, I was so excited that I wanted to ask the chef where he got his sausages from but that would of been a bit weird!

Lennoxs: Anyone who knows me well or even knows my mums side of the family will know that Lennoxs is our ultimate weakness. Hands down its the best chipper in Cork and nothing compares to it, not KCS, Dinos or any of them. However, I do crave a creole from KCS from time to time. There are really good fast food places here and so many choices but nothing beats some chips from Lennoxs on a hungover Saturday or Sunday. I'd murder someone to get my hands on Lennoxs some days! Haha. It's the first place I am going when I get off the plane at Christmas, I know ya.. Relax Zita J!




Crisps and Chocolate: It's not as bad as chocolate in America but the chocolate here just isn't the same as home. Anyone living aboard can back me up on this. You even see it online when care packages are sent from Irish mammies to their loved ones, it usually contains all the good stuff like Dairy Milks, Freddo Bars, Curly Whirlys, Moro Bars, ugh I would love a Moro bar right now! Well ya, its all that good chocolate from Ireland that just doesn't tastes the same here. Crisps are another one or chips as I sometimes have to refer to them as. First of all they don't have cheese and onion, like why not? That's the best flavor. They do however have nice bacon ones and other unusual flavors, but nothing like good ole Tayto!




Driving: Staying away from food for a minute. I miss driving so much. I have been driving since I was 17 and it feels weird that I haven't driven in over a year. I walk everywhere, to work, to the shops or to friends apartments. The only time we don't walk is if its too hot or too cold. We get the streetcar, subway, uber or a taxi instead. I really miss having the freedom of getting into my car and going wherever I want.

Penneys: I am not even joking, I wish I appreciated Penneys more when I lived at home. Clothes can be expensive enough here, its not ridiculous or anything but when you are use to buying most of your clothes in Penneys it seems insane. H&M is probably the cheapest alternative you can get here but then you go up to pay, and you forget about TAX.. FUCKING TAX.. Every time! I miss just being able to go into Penneys and buy a cheap top for a night out or cheap shoes. I have been finding good bargains lately though because I either shop in the sales or go to this vintage shop where everything is $10 or less. Its not for everyone but you have to go in there with an open mind. When I come home at Christmas, I am bringing back an empty suitcase and buying all of Penneys! I have even contemplated going to Boston just so I can get my fix, I am sad, I know!




The last thing I miss is, people understanding me when I speak. The amount of times I have said, how are you getting on? and got a blank stare and a reply of " getting on?, " I'm not on anything!" or even when I use words/ phrases like, post, crisps, the press, rubbish, naggins, a rubber(yes this has caused an awkward office moment, I will forever call it an eraser now), tipex, a hoover, a jumper, being allergic. The list is endless. To be fair, most of my friends at home don't understand the phrases I come out with half the time.

I really do love it here but there are obviously things I miss. At times missing family and friends can be unbearable so missing things like food and clothes is easier sometimes. Appreciate all the good shit you have Ireland, you don't realise what you have until its gone. How dramatic I know, you'd swear it was serious the way I am going on. But seriously, next time you are in Penneys or standing in a queue for your chips or even having a cuppa with a Moro bar, think of this looper over here, who is so jealous of you right now! 

Talk soon xx
Zita J

P.s Will someone be so kind and vacuum pack a chips, cheese and garlic and send it over...Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment