Wednesday 17 August 2016

Worlds apart.

Hey,

Happy Hump Day! We are nearly there so hang on. Last Monday I started my new job and I said I would fill you in, So here is goes... I'll start by telling you why I left my old job.  Basically to make a long story short I felt that for the amount of work I was doing there, the pay was not reflecting that. I felt I wasn't being appreciated or valued for the hard work I was putting in. After being told I would be waiting 18 months to possibly get a raise, I knew it was time to move on. I really enjoyed working there and got on really well with everyone but sometimes you need to know your own worth and move on. This was not an easy decision and there was a few times that I wasn't sure I had made the right one but I had to take the chance.

Within a week I had a receptionist job in a good company with good money but I am not joking it was quite possibly the most boring thing I have ever done. I had nothing to do...nothing! The phone would ring a max four times a day and when I asked for more work I was told there isn't much else to do. I also had to ask to use the bathroom every time I needed to go too. An bhfuil cead agam dul go dti an leithreas? I really felt like I was in school again. I understand if your a busy receptionist but this was just insanely quiet so I should of been allowed pee whenever haha. After the manager, who was so lovely may I add, asked was I bored and advised me to look for another job. I decided to leave and was gone after a week. It would be a perfect job for someone who enjoyed doing nothing all day but that just wasn't me.




While I had time to myself I tried to figure out what I should do, should I go back to childcare? Should I look for a busy receptionist job? I really didn't know. After a week of job searching and with help from my recruitment agency I got the job that I am in now and it couldn't be more different than any job I have had. Which is one of the main reason I moved here ( To be completely out of my comfort zone)

The role is an office manager and securitization administrator. In the job description they said accounting preferable but after one week I have realised accounting would of been a huge advantage alright. Ha ha. The office admin stuff I am confident about, as previous jobs have taught me a lot for that role, however its the securitization role I am more nervous about. Basically what it is, is I will be securing the funding that people require for car leases. I have no business, finance or accounting background and for the first few days I felt like I was put into the job as a mistake haha.

I have spent the past week googling finance terms, watching YouTube tutorials, improving my excel skills, crying that I can't do things (at home, obviously) feeling sick, feeling nervous, feeling anxious but I have also spent the week learning a new skill, making new relationships, broadening my knowledge, laughing (mainly when I did't know what was going on) , feeling excited, feeling brave and feeling proud. 

This is so new. This is scary, but I am ready. I have overcome lots of challenges in my life both personally and professionally. I don't know if I will get the hang of it, I don't know will I be any good at it but what I do know is I am going to give it one hell of a go. Its the only way I will grow. Its worlds apart from an Early Childhood Degree, to go from Sesame Street to Wall Street is a big change but a challenge I am ready to face.



Talk soon xx
Zita J




No comments:

Post a Comment