Wednesday 30 December 2015

Christmas in Toronto

Hope you all had a lovely Christmas,

It's not over just yet, there is still time to eat all the food you possibly can before you can feel guilty about it in January. So I'll fill you in on my Christmas. As some of you may know, I didn't go home to Ireland for Christmas. I'm not going to lie, it wasn't easy. For anyone who lives away from home, you will know the feeling of wanting to be at home at certain times either to see someone you love or even just to get your favourite takeaway. The two don't compare obviously but missing certain foods is a huge deal for people who live outside of Ireland.

There have been times I've felt homesick since I've been here (not as bad as I thought I'd be though) but Christmas time was particularly difficult. Seeing friends in pictures on nights out, watching how excited friends here were to return home for the celebrations, missing out on traditions like getting the tree with my mum, listening to a John Denver CD in my living room while dancing like a freak or just watching my nieces face light up as she opens her presents were all parts that I missed out on. 

All was not lost however as Christmas Day in Toronto was quite magical, full of lovely moments and some surprises. To make things special I played Santa this year and woke up at 3.30am on Christmas Eve night to put out stockings and some presents for Parker just like Santa would. It was nice to surprise him but he won when it came to surprises as he had been hiding presents that my mum gave him back in November for me. Naturally I was bawling and after I stopped I realised how blessed I was to have both of them in my life.

After exchanging presents, munching on some chocolate santas while The Grinch was on in the background, we begun preparing for the dinner. Parker and I cooked the turkey and ham, I also made a raspberry and white chocolate cheesecake and the other apartment made starters which was a gorgeous prawn pil pil and they also did all the vegetables, stuffing and potatoes.Overall it was a great success, so much effort was put in by all six of us left here and I was very proud of us all.

Skyping the family was the closest we got to being part of our families Christmas Day and although emotions were running high I enjoyed having a different Christmas with friends and someone I love. The weather has been very mild this winter and not at all what we expected, so excitement kicked in when it snowed on Monday night. It is still very mild for this time of year so I'll keep you posted when I start complaining about the snow and it being -20. 

Hope you all had a great Christmas surrounded by family and friends. Here is to a new year full of adventure.







Talk soon xx
Zita J

No comments:

Post a Comment